As an oncologist who provided care for cancer patients for 35 years, I saw firsthand the amazing physical and psychological restorative power of exercise during treatment. Since founding Cancer Foundation For Life in 2001, I have witnessed many inspiring transformations. Cancer patients who once faced an uncertain future now look forward to each new day. We owe it to all cancer patients to bring this treatment to the forefront and ensure that all people, both now and in the future, have this tool as a routine treatment.
Gary T. Kimmel, M.D.
Founder and Chairman Emeritus
Cancer Foundation For Life
For more information on how to forward your thinking and your programming with our FitSteps program, please submit the request form below.
Forward Your Thinking and Your Programming
Lead the way in cancer care and implement the FitSteps program at your facility
Since 2001, FitSteps has been restoring strength and hope for patients in their fight against cancer. Physicians have now referred over 21,500 patients to this life-changing program, who have safely participated in almost 500,000 exercise sessions.
As a provider, FitSteps distinguishes you as a leader in cancer exercise treatment and provides comprehensive treatment with improved patient outcomes. Additional benefits of providing the FitSteps program:
- Improves patient satisfaction and appreciation of care
- Demonstrates commitment to community-based cancer care
- Serves as a consulting resource for physicians, nurses, and patients
- Provides research opportunities
- Provides employee access to wellness program and insurance incentives
- Gives cost savings with value-based care reimbursement
As a patient, the tailored exercise program increases physical activity in a safe and monitored environment. Exercising during and following cancer treatment may achieve the following benefits:
- Improved survival of up to 50%
- Reduced fatigue
- Mitigation of chemotherapy side effects
- Improved sensitivity of the cancer tumor to chemotherapy
- Less depression with improved self-esteem
- Improved brain function with reduced dementia
- Improved heart and lung function
- Reduced morbidity and mortality from co-existing diseases (hypertension, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, lung disease, Parkinson’s etc.)
- Improved bone and muscle mass
- Enhances the patient immune system in the same pathways as targeted therapy
Implement the FitSteps program
Call our Director of Clinical Operations at 903-561-0149 to begin your journey of offering the FitSteps for Life® program.
You may also fill out our grant application to pursue funding for offering the FitSteps program.
Help us educate patients about the role and importance of exercise in cancer treatment.
FitSteps requires that all patients must be referred by a physician. It is imperative that all cancer patients and survivors be cleared for exercise by their physician as it maximizes the safety of the patients. This also legitimizes FitSteps as an integral component of the patient’s care team and treatment. Patients are significantly more likely to adhere to an exercise intervention when their physician has actively encouraged them to do so.
Basic Fundamentals of the FitSteps program:
- All patients are physician referred
- All patients are eligible
- Supervised by Cancer Exercise Trainers certified by the American College of Sports Medicine
- Provided free for the lifetime of the patient