As an oncologist who provided care for cancer patients for 35 years, I saw firsthand the amazing physical and psychological restorative power of exercise during treatment. Since founding Cancer Foundation For Life in 2001, I have witnessed many inspiring transformations. Cancer patients who once faced an uncertain future now look forward to each new day. We owe it to all cancer patients to bring this treatment to the forefront and ensure that all people, both now and in the future, have this tool as a routine treatment.
Gary T. Kimmel, M.D.
Founder and Chairman Emeritus
Cancer Foundation For Life
Forward Your Thinking
Help us educate patients about the role and importance of exercise in cancer treatment, and prescribe life.
Scientific studies consistently demonstrate the unprecedented benefits of exercise throughout the cancer care continuum. There are many published articles supporting the benefits of incorporating exercise into the cancer treatment paradigm. The Cancer Foundation for Life® is collaborating on a research project with the University of Texas at Tyler, Baylor Research Center, and Texas Oncology-Tyler. The Foundation’s contribution to research is defining how the academic recommendations of exercise benefits patients in a community environment.
Exercising during and following cancer treatment may achieve the following benefits:
- Improved survival of up to 50%
- Reduced fatigue
- Mitigation of chemotherapy side effects
- Improved sensitivity of the cancer tumor to chemotherapy
- Less depression with improved self esteem
- Improved brain function with reduced dementia
- Improved heart and lung function
- Reduced morbidity and mortality from co-existing diseases (hypertension, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, lung disease, Parkinson’s etc.)
- Improved bone and muscle mass
- Enhances the patient immune system in the same pathways as targeted therapy
Basic Fundamentals of the FitSteps program:
- All patients are physician referred
- All patients are eligible
- Supervised by Cancer Exercise Trainers certified by the American College of Sports Medicine
- Provided free for the lifetime of the patient
For more information on how to forward your thinking with our FitSteps program, please submit the request form below.