As an oncologist who provided care for cancer patients for 35 years, I saw firsthand the amazing physical and psychological restorative power of exercise during treatment. Since founding Cancer Foundation For Life in 2001, I have witnessed many inspiring transformations. Cancer patients who once faced an uncertain future now look forward to each new day. We owe it to all cancer patients to bring this treatment to the forefront and ensure that all people, both now and in the future, have this tool as a routine treatment.
Gary T. Kimmel, M.D.
Founder and Chairman Emeritus
Cancer Foundation For Life
Forward Your Programming
FitSteps for Life® is the pioneer and leader in cancer exercise treatment. Since 2001, FitSteps has been restoring strength and hope for patients in their fight against cancer. Physicians have now referred over 21,500 patients to this life-changing program, who have safely participated in almost 500,000 exercise sessions.
As a provider, FitSteps distinguishes you as a leader in cancer exercise treatment and provides innovative comprehensive treatment with improved outcomes. Additional benefits of providing the FitSteps program:
- Improves patient satisfaction and appreciation of care
- Demonstrates commitment to community-based cancer care
- Serves as a consulting resource for physicians, nurses, and patients
- Provides research opportunities
- Provides employee access to wellness program and insurance incentives
- Gives cost savings with value-based care reimbursement
As a patient, the tailored exercise program increases physical activity in a safe and monitored environment. Exercising during and following cancer treatment may achieve the following benefits:
- Improved survival of up to 50%
- Reduced fatigue
- Mitigation of chemotherapy side effects
- Improved sensitivity of the cancer tumor to chemotherapy
- Less depression with improved self-esteem
- Improved brain function with reduced dementia
- Improved heart and lung function
- Reduced morbidity and mortality from co-existing diseases (hypertension, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, lung disease, Parkinson’s, etc.)
- Improved bone and muscle mass
- Enhances the patient immune system in the same pathways as targeted therapy
Basic Fundamentals of the FitSteps for Life® program:
- All patients are physician referred
- All patients are eligible
- Supervised by Cancer Exercise Trainers certified by the American College of Sports Medicine
- Provided free for the lifetime of the patient
Implement the FitSteps program
Call our Director of Clinical Operations at 903-561-0149 to begin your journey of offering the FitSteps for Life® program.
You may also fill out our grant application to pursue funding to offer the FitSteps Program.
For more information on how to forward your programming with our FitSteps program, please submit the request form below.