Gary T. Kimmel, M.D.
Founder and Chairman Emeritus
Gary T. Kimmel, M.D. is the definition of a change agent. For 45 years Dr. Kimmel treated individuals with cancer. The first 30 of these years he practiced medical oncology and hematology-treating the disease. For the last 17 years, his journey was dedicated to developing and providing a new cancer treatment agent-exercise.
As an avid exerciser, Dr. Kimmel began investigating the benefits of exercise throughout the cancer treatment journey. His clinical experience convinced him that exercise should be incorporated into cancer treatment in conjunction with chemotherapy and radiation.
Possessed of inspired vision, unflagging energy, and dedication to his oncology patients, he was responsible for more real-world therapeutic change for his patients than most people dream of in a lifetime.
His vision that individuals affected by cancer can improve their survival and experience a better quality of life is evident by the rapid growth and success of FitSteps for Life®.
Awards and Distinctions:
- Chief of Medicine, Darnell Army Hospital, Fort Hood, Tx, 1972-1974
- Medical Director of Hospice of East Texas, 1988-1998
- American College of Physicians, Director Northeast Texas Chapter, 1988-1990
- Steering Committee member to establish Texas Society of Medical Oncology, 1990-1992
- Physicians Advisory Board, M.D. Anderson Hospital and Tumor Institute, 1990-1996
- Texas Cancer Task Force, appointed by Texas Speaker of the House, 1993
- Texas Cancer Council; Community Cancer Control Advisory Committee, 1994-1996
- Gold Headed Cane Award, 1996
- Member “Dr. Luke Society”, 2004
- T.B. Butler Award, Outstanding Citizen of Tyler 2009
- U.S. Oncology Institutional Review Board, 2011-2015
- Tyler Junior College Advisory Board; Wellness and Exercise Specialist Exercise Kinesiology Program 2013-2014
- Mary Crowley Medical Research Center Institutional Review Board, 2015-present
** Dr. Kimmel received no financial compensation from his relationship with the Cancer Foundation For Life®.**